Wednesday, January 7, 2009

It's A Canadian Winter (again)

I have never been much of a fan of winter. The cold - especially the Canadian bone chilling cold - can be unbearable. I try to venture somewhere south for the worst of it but this year I won't be anywhere warm until the end of April - and what good will that do?

Last winter was an absolute saga so I had to take up skiing. I decided it was best I get my lessons at the local ski club near our cottage - fewer people and, therefore, fewer potential embarrassments - but I forgot that while yes, there are fewer people, there are a lot more friends and acquaintances!!!

I can't decide what was my lowest point - lying on top of my ski instructor, my skis, my arms, my legs entangled in his (I know it sounds hot but he was at least 70 years old!); or my daughters trying to carve a path for me down Lovers Lane only to watch in horror as I veered suddenly right - accelerating now - into a tree! All in a days work when you are learning to ski at 40 instead of 4.

The good news is by the end of the winter I was making it down the hill semi-accident free. It wasn't pretty but at least the other skiers could descend with the confidence that I'd keep a safe distance from them - or was it them keeping a safe distance from me? I can't remember. Anway, winter didn't feel any shorter but at least I ventured outside which is more than I can say for my normal pattern this time of year.

I was hoping for another trip to India this month to temper the season but I had an unfortunate cancellation. And to drive the disappointment home - today, another snowstorm - all instigating the now familiar routine of listening to the radio for school bus availability, driving the kids to school, driving them back home (because dah Mom - it's a snow day!) and then finding something to keep them busy so I can work (and WHERE is my nanny?!!! Bedridden, of course!) - agghh! But enough complaining - it will be one of many snowdays this season so I better get used to it.

As an aside, whatever happened to global warming? I should be in a bathing suit right now!

In the meantime, I'll do my best to take in the prettier side of winter - like this scene just outside my doorstep: - a little human intervention on nature but I like it! I think I'll keep my Japanese maple adorned with those Christmas balls for the rest of the season - even if it annoys my annoying neighbour (which it will) - more on her later.

Happy Winter everyone!