Wednesday, February 4, 2009

This Is Not a Cop-out

You must read it - background for my next post on rivalries. This article was written in 2006 by the late, great, David Foster Wallace. "Roger Federer As Religious Experience". It's background because he plays soothsayer, predicting the opponent Federer would have in Nadal. It's a must read because it's sportswriting elevated to art. I cannot think of a sports article written with more eloquence and revelation than this one. DFW was an accomplished tennis player, technically astute with respect to the mechanics of the game and, of course, he was a master storyteller - both are evident in the perspective he brought here. I wouldn't want to have been on the opposite side of him - either on the court or on the page. Greatness must have its rivals (as you'll see in my next post) but where DFW is concerned, it's certainly not me!